The history of massage dates back to 3000 BCE (or earlier) in India, where it was considered a sacred system of natural healing used by Hindus to heal injuries, relieve pain, and to prevent and cure illness. Over time massage made its way through China, Egypt, and Japan. Massage was used in ancient Greece and by the Roman Empire however rather than treating conditions and illness it was used to condition the body of athletes bodies prior to competitions which included the use of herbs and oils.
Massage therapy declined as a popular treatment until the 1800s when a Swedish doctor/gymnast/teacher Per Henrik Ling created a method that became known as the Swedish Movement Cure to help relieve chronic pain. This was the precursor to what we now know as Swedish massage – a style that involves stroking, pressing, squeezing, and striking.
Whether you are looking for help with aches and pains, or so simply relax our trained therapists at Sephora will create the perfect massage treatment just for you.
Our range of massage treatments are:
Relaxing Massage / Swedish Massage
Relaxing massages can be used to treat the whole body or targeted body areas with one aim, to relax. This treatment involves soft music, lighting, and aromatherapy essential oils. Your luxurious massage will use all kinds of massage techniques including long strokes, gentle kneading, and rolling of skin and muscle. This is the massage for you if you want to chill out, be pampered and spoiled.
The benefits of a relaxing massage are:
- Relieve stress and muscle tension
- Increase sense of wellbeing
- Improve circulation and blood flow
- Aid lymphatic drainage
- Relieve aches and pains
- Aid digestion
- Remove body toxins
- Improve sleep quality
- Soothe muscle soreness and sprains
- Promote skin health
Deep Tissue Massage
Deep tissue massage is a specific type of massage that targets deeper structures of the muscles. Its is commonly used on muscle and sports injuries, postural alignment, muscle spasms and for reducing muscle tension.
Sephora massage therapists will use fingers, thumbs, fists, elbows and forearms to focus on releasing chronic muscle tension as well as knots and adhesions in the muscles. This is achieved by stretching fascia, supporting and penetrating all the muscles, bones, nerves and organs. Working layer-by-layer releasing tension in the connective tissue going into the deepest accessible layer which creates changes in posture and making room for movements after releasing fascial adhesions and chronic muscle contractures.
Although sounding quite dramatic a deep tissue massage is not painful painful. It borders the line of pleasurable release of tension and the pain blocking response (what we call tensing up).
Deep tissue massage is commonly used to treat:
- Muscle Pain (Mild & Chronic)
- Joint pain
- Sports Injuries
- High blood pressure
- Plantar Fasciitis (Heal & foot pain)
Hot Stone Massage
A hot stone massage is used to help with relaxation, ease tense muscles and damaged soft tissues throughout your body.
During a hot stone massage, smooth, flat, heated stones are placed on specific parts of your body including your spine, stomach, chest, face, palms, feet and toes. Alternatively the hot stones can be held and used to perform Swedish massage techniques such as long strokes, circular movements, vibration, tapping, and kneading. Cold stone can also be used after hot stones to to calm engorged blood vessels to soothe the skin.
Benefits of a hot stone massage:
- Relieve muscle pain and tension
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Promote sleep
- Relieve symptoms of autoimmune diseases
- Decrease cancer symptoms
- Boost immunity
Hot Candle Massage
Massage candles are a special kind of candle which as a candle, massage oil, and moisturising lotion all in one. Massage candles have natural ingredients made from pure essential oils, and offer can also offer an aromatherapy experience also.
The heat from the candle melts the butter and this is spread like any other oil when poured over the body. These precious plant and vegetable butters and aromatic oils nourish, tone and moisturise the skin. This soothing, relaxing, and revitalising body massage reduces tension, helps to reduce stress and creates a total holistic effect. It is ideal for those with dry skin or for those seeking a light therapeutic and anti-stress massage.
Benefits of a hot candle massage:
- Soothing skin & healing minor skin injury
- Easing of tension, stiffness and pain
- Enhanced blood circulation
- Enhanced wellbeing
- Pain relief
- Soften skin
- Hydrate skin
- Detoxify skin
- Stress & pressure relief
Indian Head Massage
Indian Head Massage is based on the Ayurvedic system of healing which has been practiced in India for over a thousand years. Indian head massage is a relaxing holistic treatment that uses acupressure massage to release stress that has accumulated in the tissues, muscles and joints of the head, face, neck and shoulders.
The aim on and Indian head massage is to balance your bodies energies, hep you relax and relieve stress.
Benefits of Indian head massage
- Stress relief
- Relieve anxiety
- Increase joint mobility
- Head & neck pain relief
- Remove toxins
- Help with depression
- Help with fatigue
- Help with insomnia
- Relieve migrane symptoms
- Relive symptoms of sinusitis
Aromatherapy, body scrubs and wraps can be included with our massage treatments. Your Sephora therapist will be able to advise and customise these treatments to perfectly compliment your massage.
Care and Aftercare
After your massage always follow your Sephora therapists guidelines. You should avoid:
- Avoid alcohol for at least 24 hours, as massage is a detoxifying treatment
- Drink plenty of water to assist in the elimination of toxins from the body
- Eat a light diet to assist the detoxification and healing process
- Get plenty of rest. You may feel tired after treatment
- Gentle exercise – postural exercises can help with muscle tension as well as exercises that will assist with mobility. Yoga is a suitable and gentle option.
- Do breathing exercises to assist with taking in oxygen to your fullest capacity
- Research the possibility of treatment options to assist with stress and other conditions, if necessary.
Possible Side effects:
Occasionally, you may experience any of the following reactions up to 24-48 hours after treatment; this is known as a contra-action and is the body’s response to the treatment:
- Dizziness or nausea
- Disrupted sleeping pattern
- Muscles may feel tired and achy
- Increased urination or passing stools
- Increased thirst
These reactions are uncommon but perfectly normal and show that toxins are being expelled from the body, so that it may re-balance and cleanse itself.
N.B. In the unlikely event that you experience any severe pain or discomfort, please seek advice from your GP.
You should inform your Sephora massage therapist if:
- Contagious skin conditions (boils, warts, or herpes)
- Other skin conditions (burns, rashes, or sores)
- Circulatory system issues (high blood pressure, varicose veins, or stroke)
- Digestive system issues (ulcers, IBS, or colitis)
- Edema (Swelling)
- Endocrine system issues (diabetes or thyroid dysfunction)
- Musculoskeletal system conditions (carpal tunnel syndrome, fibromyalgia, osteoporosis, arthritis
- Lymph/immune system issues (chronic fatigue or HIV/AIDS)
- Nervous system conditions (herpes or Parkinson’s disease)
- Respiratory system issues (asthma)
- If you are pregnant
Massage treatments are not suitable if you:
- Have a fever
- Were recently involved in an accident
- Are dizzy or nauseated
- Are bruised or have wounds, rashes, or severe sunburn